Earth Representatives or EarthReps is a student training and community building internship for undergraduate on-campus residents offering education, skills, and hands-on experiences broadly related to sustainability. EarthReps serve as sustainability ambassadors in student housing. The program aims to train emerging young leaders, expand campus awareness of sustainability, and build community among students, staff, and faculty. EarthReps receive training in substantive sustainability issues as well as skills for initiating essential conversations among peers, planning hall activities, and other community building approaches.
The program supports students who want to:
- Interact with like-minded peers and build a resilient community
- Gain a solid background in sustainability including a global understanding of related environmental, economic, and social justice issues
- Increase leadership skills
- Serve as residence hall-based ambassadors for sustainability at UCI
- Live in Campus Residential Housing
- Be enthusiastic about sustainability and show a willingness to learn
- EarthReps is targeted, but not limited, to participants in the Global Sustainability Resource Center’s (GSRC) Student Institute for Sustainability Leadership (SISL) program.
Each quarter, EarthReps can expect the following:
- Three or more trainings on sustainability topics at UCI (waste, water, energy, carbon neutrality, social/economic justice, food, and gardening) as well as related skills in community and action planning.
- Several community building social or campus events.
- Opportunities to contribute to student led actions forwarding behavior change and peer-to-peer learning.
- Opportunities to contribute to a student-run blog and social media campaigns.
To be considered a certified EarthRep intern, participants must complete the following:
- Attend at least 2 trainings and 1 other campus event per quarter.
- Work with other EarthReps and sustainability program staff to create and complete at least one action project on a chosen topic each quarter. This action project can be small, such as putting up flyers and posting on Facebook, or more involved such as hosting a movie screening in your hall.
- Curriculum and excursions are designed by Student Housing Sustainability Program staff together with the UCI Sustainability Initiative, GSRC, and other campus and community partners.
- For additional information please contact Rachel Harvey, the Student Housing Sustainability Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.